The total livestock population in India has increased by 4.6 percent to535.78 million 2019 over the 2012 census, according to the 20th Livestock Census report released by the Department of Animal Husbandry & Dairying, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying.
The major findings of the 20th Livestock Census include:
- Total bovine population (cattle, buffalo, mithun and yak) is 302.79 million in 2019 which shows an increase of about one per cent over the previous census.
- The total number of cattle in the country in 2019 is 192.49 million showing an increase of 0.8 per cent over previous census.
- The female cattle (cow population) is 145.12 million, increased by 18 per cent over the previous census (2012).
- The exotic/crossbred and indigenous/non-descript cattle population in the country is 50.42 million and 142.11 million, respectively.
- The indigenous/non-descript female cattle population has increased by 10 per cent in 2019 as compared to previous census.
- The population of the total exotic/crossbred cattle has increased by 26.9 per cent in 2019 as compared to previous census.
- There is a decline of 6 per cent in the total indigenous/non-descript cattle population over the previous census. However, the pace of decline of indigenous/ non-descript cattle population during 2012-2019 is much lesser than as compared to the 2007-12 which was about 9 per cent.
- The total buffaloes in the country is 109.85 million showing an increase of about one percent over previous census.
- The total milch animals (in-milk and dry) in cows and buffaloes is 125.34 million, an increase of 6 per cent over the previous census.
- The total population of sheep in the country is 74.26 million in 2019, increased by 14.1 per cent over previous census.
- The goat population in the country in 2019 is 148.88 million showing an increase of 10.1 per cent over the previous census.
- The total pigs in the country is 9.06 million in the current census, declined by 12.03 percent over the previous census.
- The other livestock including mithun, yak, horses, ponies, mule, donkeys and camel together contribute around 0.23 per cent of the total livestock and their total count is 1.24 million.
- The total poultry in the country is 851.81 million in 2019, registered an increase of 16.8 per cent in the total poultry.
- The total birds in the backyard poultry in the country is 317.07 million. The backyard poultry has increased by around 46 per cent as compared to previous census.
- The total commercial poultry in the country is 534.74 million in 2019, increased by 4.5 per cent over previous census.
The Livestock Census has been conducted in the country periodically since 1919-20. The Livestock Census covers all domesticated animals and its headcounts. So far 19 such censuses have been conducted in participation with State Governments and UT Administrations.
The 20th Livestock Census was conducted in participation with all States and Union Territories. The enumeration was done both in rural and urban areas. Various species of animals (cattle, buffalo, mithun, yak, sheep, goat, pig, horse, pony, mule, donkey camel, dog, rabbit and elephant)/poultry birds (fowl, duck, emu, turkeys, quail and other poultry birds) possessed by the households, household enterprises/non-household enterprises and institutions have been counted at their site.